Finally, it's Black History Month!
[I know, the shortest month of the year]
In years past I've had several fiery black-related posts, mostly pertaining to the things we need to change about ourselves. This year tho, I'll flip it on y'all, and talk about the things I love about being black. Let's, for a minute, forget our bling-loving, chrome rims-coveting, bluetooth-toting, sunglasses-in-club-wearing selves and talk about the good things about being black:
- Rhythm: It's no secret that we've got it - we can dance our asses off. And in time to the music too. Like, it amused me to no end watching my Caucasian counterparts attempting to do Young Joc's 'It's Going Down' dance and failing miserably. Or, when's the last time you saw anyone who wasn't black attempt dancing to Lingala, except a few white West-African [French?] honeys?
- Athleticism: It's a well-known fact that we dominate virtually every sport we seriously attempt to be good at. It doesn't matter what it is - we'll excel in it. American Football: conquered it. Basketball: excelled in it, despite certain closed-door jokes that NBA stands for No Brains Allowed. Watching Usain Bolt blur his way around the track only reinforces this. Now, if only our black asses could get accustomed to winter and water sports...
- Church: Black people love God. There's something in us that just succumbs to The Man. We reverberate, and respond to, things of the Spirit.
- Music/Soul: Where do I even begin? Black people are so musically inclined it's ridiculous. We revolutionized music, changing it from boring, ballroom, elevator-type sleep-inducing chords to joints that make people wanna strut their stuff on the dance floor.
- Swag: Think Will Smith in the first Men in Black when he said that he made it look good. That's nothing but truth - no one's got more swag than we do. Not to be confused with being showy, though there's a fine line between the two. Swag is more confidence than it is boastfulness.
For instance, look at Obama. Dude's got swag like no other prez before him. Maybe that's why they called him an elitist. No, douchebags, that's swag for your triflin' ass.
- Ass: *sigh* I love the booty. It makes everything on a woman so much better. There might be something hardwired into the black man's dome that has the propensity to covet a good-sized booty, coz some of my white friends don't care much for it, but Lord knows I do. The bubble is where it's at, and there's no booty like black booty. Even better is African or Jamaican booty.
[For an extreme example fellas, Google/Bing Angel Lola Luv. Thank me later.]
- Humor: Hands down, black people are the funniest on the planet, bar none. Do I even need to explain this one?
- Resilience: To quote something I once heard:
It almost passes human understanding how a people can be so socially despised, yet artistically esteemed; so degraded yet culturally influential. In short, we're some tough SOBs. Give us lemons & we make lemonade. Give us pig or chicken feet and we learn to love them. Colonize us for decades and we kick your ass out eventually; enslave us and we break ourselves free.
What more can I say? I'm more than comfortable in my own skin. Love yourself, whatever color you are. It's our differences that keep this zoo exciting.
Hip-Hop verse of the day:
"See I am the Doctor Spock and I'd like to say hello
Uh to the black to the white, the red and the brown
The purple and yellow..."
Def Squad in Rappers Delight